Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Grandmothers Choice - Week 4

I can't believe I did this block!  It was a very difficult block for me.  I decided to use paper piecing to get the points pretty...but even that was hard to figure out.  I use EQ7 and it couldn't help me because of the curves.  So I deconstructed the block in EQ7 and was able to print foundations of just the sunflower circle.  I sectioned it off into 3 chunks.  Then as I began sewing, I realized I couldn't sew all the seams because of the severe angle of the inside points on the outer curves of the sunflower.  I sewed one side, then the other side I folded under the excess, trimmed to 1/4 inch seam allowance and pressed, then basted the outer edges.  Uh oh..open areas in the middle of my block...

Next, I cut and sewed the outer corners of the block to the sunflower circle.  After all the practice I've had with curves recently, this was a piece of cake! LOL  I fussy cut a center circle and pinned to the block.

So what did I do then??  Yep, you guessed it I stitched by HAND!!  Ugh!  So this block has paper piecing, curved piecing, and hand stitching.
Grandmothers Choice - Week 4
Keep in mind this block is only 8.5 inches square!!  You may now applaud...I am certainly patting myself on the back over this block.  But I'm hoping the next one is much easier!

Keep on Stitchin'!






No comments:

Post a Comment