Monday, July 23, 2012

A Retreat! A quilt to work on!

I'm so excited to be going to a quilt retreat (my first one!!) over the Labor Day weekend.  Only one person and I know each other out of the 12 that are going.  A couple other ladies (from whom we found out about this retreat) and I are on the same Yahoo group.  It will be a wonderful weekend, sewing, and getting to know new people.

So, I need a quilt to work on.  I had purchased some fabric a few years ago to make a quilt to throw over the back of my couch in the summer.  I pulled out the fabrics, scanned them into my EQ7 software and started playing with blocks and quilt layouts, keeping in mind I only had so much yardage.  I already knew I wanted to do some paper piecing at the retreat and as luck would have it, the July and August blocks from Carol Doak's Mystery BOM were exactly what I had in mind!  WooHoo!  So here's the EQ7 layout.

Summer Quilt 58"x58" EQ7 Image
And here is my first test block.  You might recognize this as the July block from Carol Doak's Mystery Quilt BOM.

Stay tuned for the other test block in a day or so.

Keep on stitchin'!

4 comments:

  1. Love it Sue. This should be a beautiful quilt. Do you normally design your quilts? I admire all of your work so much Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rebecca. Thanks! I use EQ7 to create the layout. There are so many blocks and fabrics to choose from, plus I can draw my own blocks and scan in my own fabrics. This quilt uses blocks from Carol Doak's Mystery BOM which is on her Yahoo group. She provides us with free blocks, and a couple of generous members recreate in Quilt Pro and in EQ7 for those of us who own those softwares. It is such fun to play in EQ7. I've created many more virtual quilts than I'll ever make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fabrics in your test block are SO pretty. They should be a delight to work with them. and the jelly roll strip quilt is one of my favorite designs and the touch of black ties it all together. Such fun, isnt it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kat. Yes it is fun. It's going to be hard to put these aside and not continue working on them! But I always have something going on in my room.

    Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete